Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Super Bowl

The Story:

Not to discourage you from reading, but if you are one of those people that don't like it when separate food items touch each other (i.e.: Emily), you should consider skipping this post. 

And another disclaimer: I don't actually know when the Superbowl is, or really anything about football, and  this doesn't really have anything to do with it, but it seemed like kind of a catchy name, and you could conceivably eat this while watching the game, so. . . I don't know. . . there you go.  Try not to overanalyze it.

Also, I don't know that I'm in the habit of defending my food, but I know this sounds really weird and kind of gross, but trust me and give it a try (unless you don't like it when some of your food touches your other food, in which case I don't know why you're still reading, but maybe it means you should try it too!). 



The Recipe:

Super Meat'N'Tater Bowl (I made that name up by myself)
4 pork chops OR a couple pounds of pounded cube steak OR some other meat you like
1 (14.5 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
garlic clove, pressed (optional)
3 medium potatoes
salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
garlic salt
1 can corn (frozen corn can also be used)
shredded cheese (cheddar/cheddar-jack/etc.)

Place meat in 8"x8" dish (or a Crock Pot) and cover with soup and garlic.  Bake at 325° F for one hour (or cook in slow cooker 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low).

Before meat is done, peel and chop potatoes; boil in 2-quart pot of salted water until tender. Drain.  In largish mixing bowl, combine potatoes, milk, butter (you can melt it beforehand, but I let the potatoes melt it), and garlic salt.  Mash together lightly, then beat with hand mixer until smooth and creamy.  Add more milk, if necessary.

Drain corn, and heat 2 minutes in microwave in microwave-safe dish.  Or, heat corn on stovetop in small pot, then drain.

To serve: In soup/cereal bowl, layer potatoes, then meat (can be cut into bite-sized peices before serving) and gravy/soup, then corn, and top with cheese.  Serve with Red Lobster Biscuits on the side.

Red Lobster Biscuits (a family recipe)
1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Mix Bisquick, milk, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and cheese into a soft dough.  Drop dough in six equal lumps (approx. tablespoonful), smoothing the tops as much as possible, on pizza stone or greased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 400° F.

While biscuits bake, melt butter; mix with remaining tablespoon of garlic salt.  Brush onto biscuits when they come out of the oven.  These are best served hot. 



The Verdict:

I'll be the first to admit it sounds weird. If you've ever had a KFC mashed potato bowl, you'll recognize that this is similar except it tastes better, and is made of actual food, and it doesn't have to be ALL mashed "potatoes" with approximately three pieces of popcorn "chicken" in it. 

At first Matt forgot it was something we'd had (and liked) before and decided to nix the bowl and eat everything separately, but when I reminded him how much he'd liked it before, he layered and ate everything together--and enjoyed it.  It is somehow delicious that way.  I don't know how.  It defies the laws of deliciousness in some strange, yummy way.  I obviously recommend trying it.

2 comments:

  1. I think this sounds awesome! But maybe I'm just weird. :)

    My RL Biscuits always turn out dry. Do you have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I more often run into the problem of undercooking the biscuits, which might be why they don't get dry for me. But then, I'm not sure how often I measure the milk, so I may be using more than is called for.

    ReplyDelete