Wednesday, January 5, 2011

BLT to go

The Story:

It is amazing to me how life can sometimes simultaneously be so wonderful yet so difficult. 

Along those lines, this sandwich isn't difficult to figure out, but sometimes you just don't think of making one.  So, here is a semi-gourmet, road-friendly sandwich which I wanted to later remind myself is also incredibly delicious!



The Recipe:

BLMMT on a Pita
6 pita halves ( I REALLY recommend the Kangaroo Pocket kind so you can stuff more in there)
12 strips bacon (I like Tyson Hickory-flavored)
mayonnaise
butter lettuce
2 medium tomatoes
mozzarella cheese (I'm talking the squishy log kind, not the firm block kind)
salt and black pepper

Preheat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Brown bacon, then drain on about 3 layers of paper towels or brown paper bags.

While bacon browns, spread mayonnaise on one inside side of each pita pocket.  Layer lettuce on top of mayonnaise. 

Slice tomatoes thinly, placing one or two slices on top of lettuce in pockets.

Slice mozzarella thinly, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and layer on top of tomato.

When bacon is cool enough, stuff two folded strips inside pita pockets.

Serve sooner than later.



The Verdict:

Turns out we didn't have quite enough bacon when I made these for our road trip, so I ate the leftover sandwich right then, without any bacon.  Holy cow!  Was it ever delicious!  I actually put one little orphan bit of bacon in the leftover sandwich I ate and it was almost a disappointment when I came to it, because the whole thing was so good without the bacon!  I know, it sounds impossible that something would be better without bacon, but it was true.

For dinner, with the bacon and all, the sandwiches were still really good, although, by then they were beginning to get a tad soggy.  I even ate one more for a next-day leftover lunch, but it wasn't very good anymore.  So, I guess the moral of the story is, while easy to eat with one hand, they are much better served immediately, which means not ideal for the car, or work lunches.  Either way, I would definitely make them again.  Maybe even every single day.

2 comments:

  1. Better without bacon??? ....you're a sick little woman....lol(0; Mmmm your blog always makes me super hungry. I think I may go eat lunch...again. Man I love lunch(0: Especially after reading about bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your commentary! so funny! Oh, and I LOVE the squishy log kind of mozzarella too. (It has a name...fresh mozzarella :) Especially the little balls on top of pasta. Have you ever had those? Anyhow, what I really was going to comment on here was that I JUST bought Kangaroo pitas for a recipe, and they ARE really good. Our sandwiches were similar to gyros. Let me know if you want the recipe!

    ReplyDelete