The Story:
Do you ever cook something and then go someplace after dinner and realize that your shirt, coat, hair, etc. smell like dinner, and not really in a good way? I hate that.
So, here's something simple, quick, and non-smelly. Or at least if the smell sticks to you, it's delicious and faint. This is also one of my very favorite dishes.
The Recipe:
Baked Pasta
3/4 pound pasta (penne, shells, or bowtie work well, but I prefer to use elbow macaroni)
1/2 pound mozzarella
~Here, the original recipe calls for fontina, ricotta, etc. but I usually just add what I have around: a quarter cup cottage cheese, cup of Parmesan, etc. The more variety you can get, the more delicious.
1 large tomato, diced (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
1 cup cream or half-and-half
garlic salt
basil
other Italian-y spices you want to use
3 tablespoons butter
Parboil pasta 4 minutes (parboil means you just sort of cook it--it won't be done, but don't worry, it will be fine, even at high altitudes).
Mix cheeses, spices, cream, tomatoes, and pasta well. Spread in greased, large shallow dish. Dot with butter. Bake at 500° for 7-10 minutes.
The Verdict:
Unbelievably quick, simple, and rave-about-it delicious every single time! I don't know how this works out, but it's fantastic, and though it doesn't sound like it's going to properly bake, it's perfect every time! It is great as leftovers, too.
Serve this with salad, buttered garlic toast, or throw some peas into the mix. You will love it, I promise!!
that sounds great! Thanks Alissa. Hope you're feeling better and getting more protein in the morning!
ReplyDelete