Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Salsa Chicken and Artichokes

The Story:

I've seen a few variations on tomato-based spicy chicken, including a slow cooker recipe that's pretty good, but this recipe is by far my favorite.  I make it about every two weeks, so this was not experimental at all, just a good old standby.



The Recipe:

Salsa Chicken (a family recipe)
1 cup salsa (I use the grocery store medium-hot corn and bean kind*)
1/2 cup water
1.7 ounce package Lowry's Fajita Seasoning (This is really difficult to find, so I usually stock up on bottled fajita seasoning when I find it and dump 1/3 or 1/2 the bottle in)
sliced pepper-jack cheese (I use the shredded cheddar-jack from my freezer)
boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use half breasts, usually about six to eight)

Mix salsa, water, and seasoning.  Add chicken and marinate in fridge for at least four hours.

Grill about 8 minutes on each side.  Top each breast with a slice of cheese and leave on grill until melted.

Since I don't have a grill (even a George Foreman one), I learned--living in the dorms at college--that a broiler can also be used in a pinch.  So I line a small cookie sheet with foil, crank up the broiler, and cook about 10 minutes on each side, then top with the cheese and leave in oven until melted.


Artichoke Hearts
In a large stainless steel skillet, with a small amount of olive oil, dump a bag of frozen artichoke hearts.  Sprinkle lime juice, garlic salt, and lemon pepper over artichokes, heating over medium heat until they just begin to brown.




The Verdict:

Other than the changes outlined, I wouldn't change anything.  We enjoy this every time we eat it and it tastes great (if not better than the first time around) as leftovers.

*Some husbands people don't like corn.  They say it's an abomination and they won't have it in their house.  Or their stomach.  Or toilet.  But in my experience, these people will eat and enjoy this chicken anyway.  I put this note down here so you wouldn't have to read about toilets in the middle of a recipe.  You're welcome!

P.S. I'm planning on experimenting big time tonight.  Get excited!

1 comment:

  1. yes, if you were wondering, i DID just blogstalk you...and salsa chicken just might end up on our dinner table sometime in the near future!! sounds delicious!! im thinking this shall be the first place i come to look for a recipe next time i turn to the trusty internet! :)

    ReplyDelete