The Story:
I was tired, cold, and wanted some comfort food. So I decided to add some pork to a corn pudding and make it a meal. It's a bit of an open-a-can-and-dump-it-in-a-bowl recipe, which is a detour from the norm for us, but it was simple and easy. Because I was short on time, I did the pork separately.
The Recipe:
Scalloped Corn (a family recipe)
1 can sweet corn, drained
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
1 can cream-style corn
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1 stick butter, melted
Mix together. Pour into a greased dish. (The recipe didn't specify a size. I used an oversized 8"x8" and it worked well, but browned quite a bit on the outer edges before it was done in the center.)
Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes.
Pork
In the morning, I covered five pork chops with lime juice, garlic powder (I would have used real garlic, but I was running short on time. Don't judge.), lemon pepper, and a little cayenne. I also added water to make sure everything was covered, and mixed.
When the corn was about 20 minutes from done, I cut up the pork into bite-sized cubes, threw it in a nonstick skillet, and sprinkled on the marinade ingredients again.
The Verdict:
More than wonderful! We sort of mixed everything together on the plate and the lime flavor with the corn was really nice. The pork was a little tough, though. Not sure if I overcooked it, or what. We would definitely eat this again. But I would start cooking the pork later, and marinate it more heavily. This was really good comfort food though, in a lime juice, gourmet sort of way.
No comments:
Post a Comment