Thursday, May 10, 2012

When it Rains, it Pours


The Story: 

2012.  It's a third of the way past, have you realized that?  What a crazy four months it has been for us.

The months have flown by as we've watched with wonder while our girl grows and changes every day, and been delighted with every new development and milestone she's accomplished, as though she's the first baby ever to do so, and certainly the most talented and apt.  Hard to believe she's 11 months old.  How on earth can we have an almost-one-year-old baby?  When did that happen?  I'm not messing around when I repeat those oft-heard words, "It goes so fast."

Hard on the heels of a difficult and eye-opening pregnancy, came the news that we would have another baby this summer.  So far, even the worst parts of this pregnancy have been so much easier than any part of the last one, although my separate health challenges continue.  Who knows what new experiences, challenges, joys, or news will come along with this new life,  pregnancy, and birth, but for now, we try to enjoy the (varying levels of) peace afforded by each day.

Along with the other various and everyday challenges of life, we've also been through the roller-coaster of a layoff and job-searching, termination of health insurance, and facing the imminent and speedy prospect of moving to a whole new city (and not even certain which one).  Luckily, we made some compromises to be able to stay where we are and things are looking promising.

Through this pouring metaphorical rain, I've spent some time thinking about how much I love physical rain.  Perhaps this is because we seldom get much rain in these parts.  But rare or not, I want to develop the kind of attitude toward the metaphorical rain that I have towards the physical type.  I revel in hearing, smelling, feeling, watching, and experiencing a rainstorm.  I sit on the porch (although I don't currently have a porch, so I settle for an open window) and watch the lightning, feel the thunder, smell the freshness, and I experience peace in those times.  How wonderful it would be to embrace life's challenges in the same manner: to simply breathe them in and, seldom or often, heavy or light, though they may come, to embrace them and feel peace, knowing that, as the wet rain brings renewal, so too do the trials. 

I'm so thankful for the support of family and friends.  I'm also thankful for freezers.  And Popsicles.  And the possibility of moving someplace that has central air conditioning!

But back to the freezer part.  I went through several 2-week cycles of Once a Month Cooking.  Seriously awesome to not have to really cook and chop and plan every day.  Most of the meals also tasted pretty good.  Some meals, on the other hand, tasted like garbage, which is what they shortly thereafter became.  So, I struck out on my own, in fact exploring some meatless, and less-meat dishes.  That presented some challenges because, for instance--you already know this--lettuce isn't a superstar freeze-er. So we had to eat it fast.

In the end, I came up with this little beaut, among others.  On the awesome side, this dish packs only a measly 10 grams of fat per serving.



The Recipe: 


Low-Fat Alfredo (modified from here)
Makes 4 servings

1 cup double-strength nonfat dry milk (twice as much powder for the water)
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup cream cheese (reduced fat, if desired)
8 ounces fettuccini or spaghetti
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix up the dry milk at one-and-a-half or two times the strength.  For my milk, this meant 1/3 cup plus 1/3 cup of powdered milk and enough water to make a cup of liquid, when mixed.  You may wish to add a little extra water--my suace got fairly thick after sitting with the pasta for a few moments.  Alternately, you could use a cup of fat-free evaporated milk.

In a 3-qt. pot, boil water and cook pasta.  Add salt, if desired.  I never add oil to my pasta while it cooks, because I've been told the little (low-fat) secret that if you are using enough water while cooking the pasta, your noodles shouldn't stick to one another. 

While pasta cooks, heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium heat, until simmering.  Whisk in cream cheese, until melted and smooth.  If necessary, remove from heat and cover until pasta is done.

Drain pasta well, return to pot over low heat, and mix in alfredo sauce, stirring and cooking for a minute.  Add Parmesan and pepper, mixing until heated through, and thick. 



The Verdict: 

Serve with Caesar salad, grape tomatoes, etc.  It is good, tasty, quick, low-fat, but a tiny bit thick and sticky.  Definitely worth a try.


1 comment:

  1. Great metaphor, Alissa. I love rain too. And the after-effects when it's thoroughly drenched the earth--everything is alert and alive and growing. We need the rain--even though we have to take cover during the storms, for health and safety--afterwards, the world is brighter.
    Sending hugs today! We need to get together!

    ReplyDelete