Thursday, May 17, 2012


The Story: 

Hot. What's with this Spring?  I know it's not just 'cause I'm pregnant.  It really is hot.  Do you have one of those houses where the inside temperature somehow hits 85 degrees Fahrenheit inside even if it's only 70 outside?  What is that?  How is that possible?  Our house is wonky. 

BUT!  Now we have an oven that is fewer than 50 years old!  Know what that means?  I can turn on the oven and know what the temperature is really going to be.  And it matches what the dial says it is.  Every time.  Know what else it means?  We can bake something without all the heat escaping through the oven door that won't seal.  Which means that the house stays cooler when I bake.

BUT!  Sometimes when it's 85 inside, even when you have a nice oven, you don't really want a hot meal.  You want something cold.  I can help you out with that. 

BUT!  If you buy four completos, it'ss on'y 4 dollarss.  Oh, wait, that's something else entirely.  On to the recipe!



The Recipe: 


A Tasty Pasta Salad

4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
1 (or 1 1/2) cup dry pasta, cooked and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2-3 thin slices red onion, chopped (or to taste)
2/3 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TBL Dijon mustard
2 TBL honey
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 dashes cayenne

In a large bowl, mix the top 6 ingredients to make the salad.

In a small bowl mix the bottom 6 ingredients to make the dressing. 

Gently stir the dressing into the salad.  Chill well before serving.  Add bacon bits, or sliced olives, if you want.




The Verdict: 

I was so hot I honestly served this as dinner, with buttered rolls.  I felt, though, that something was missing from the salad.  I mulled over it for that night and the next morning.  Then, I had the leftovers for lunch.... BAM!  It just needed to sit and meld a bit.  SOOO good when it's a day old!  I know pasta salads are a dime-a-dozen and you probably have some tried-and-true recipe you fall back on, but I solemnly advocate for this one for some hot summer evening, lunch, or potluck picnic.  It's got protein, vegetables, and taste all in one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment