Monday, September 12, 2011

Super Fast Sloppy Joes

The Story: 

Everybody know how to make Sloppy Joes.  Actually, I totally didn't.  I was still trying to be creative with what I had in the house when we hadn't gone to the grocery store in a while.  So I made this up.  It seriously took me all of ten minutes to make.  Tada!  If you need a meal in a hurry, try it out.  It's not very granola but it's easy, fast, and tasty.



The Recipe:

Sloppy Joes
1 pound ground turkey or hambuger
1/2 (or whole) packet onion soup or dip mix
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1-2 tablespoons Worcetershire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
shredded Parmesan cheese

In a medium skillet or saute pan, mix all ingredients except cheese.  Cook meat until done.  Serve over open face hamburger or hot dog buns and sprinkle with Parmesan.

I'm not sure what the science of always browning your meat before you add the goodies is, unless it's just to make sure the meat gets cooked through.  If you're worried about this go ahead and brown the meat before mixing in the other ingredients.  Also, I prefer to use just half of the soup mix because otherwise it's just too intense (I've done it both ways), but you can add all of it, if that's your thing. 




The Verdict: 

Not bad at all for a ten-minute meal.  I personally just like Parmesan.  And whenever I say Parmesan in my recipes, it's ALWAYS the real stuff, shredded, not the grated dry kind in the green cardboard can.  Although the beauty of cooking is that you can substitute your own ingredients and play with whatever you have on hand.

I served this with applesauce, and with green beans heated with a little bacon grease, salt, and black pepper.  The beans were divine.  But wait until you see my upcoming recipe for green beans and tilapia!  You will love it!

1 comment:

  1. Sloppy Joes, slop sloppy Joes...reminds me of a Adam Sandler song...lol. I love Sloppy Joes!

    ReplyDelete