The Story:
Sometimes I wish I didn't like food so darn much. Here I sit blogging, stuffing my face with dried fruit (it's a better choice than Marshmallow Peeps), thinking about the last few weeks and being sorry I haven't blogged more. But the thing is, I've actually had a few moments to breathe the last few weeks, and that's kind of important, too.
So, here's what's been going on:
Matt and I went to Miami for a business trip/babymoon (if you haven't heard about this new "babymoon" trend, you should probably check it out). It was heavenly. Except for the flight. Flying pregnant is not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. But 75 degrees Farenheit on the beach is absolutely wonderful!
The swelling has begun. Anybody know where to get comfortable, roomy shoes that are not Crocs, or who in the world has cute and affordable maternity clothes? ("Buy your pre-pregnancy size" my foot!!)
Which brings me to my next point. My never-eat-anything-tasty diet has been relaxed. It wasn't helping anything anyway. And, I did not gain any weight during the entirety of being on that diet, which isn't super fantastic for Baby. But now that I am eating normal foods again, I am trying to make smarter choices, but the truth is, I don't really know anything about eating healthy and so now I'm gaining mondo weight. Sigh. I'm hungry a lot of the time.
We got a for-realsies confirmation that the baby is a girl!!! We are working on setting up her happy little room. I'll post pictures at some point.
I have been trying to get into a good nighttime routine to help me sleep better. This has included being able to read Dickens before bed! For fun. I like it!
Today was a rewarding day at work. I've felt my work in all areas of my life has been slipping lately as I struggle to keep all the items I'm juggling in the air. But today... well, today I helped someone understand something they never did before. Sometimes it frustrates me to have to see people struggle with what they already ought to have been taught their whole lives. But since no one ever took the time to sit down and teach this young woman I saw today how to do what she needed to do, I got that opportunity to step in and help her put all the peices together! And she did! Plus, on Monday I helped an individual with dyslexia feel understood and grasp concepts he had never been able to grasp before. I am really thankful I have such a wonderful job!
I promise to try to keep blogging. I love this blog because it is an outlet, because it shares my love of food with others (I get pretty excited about sharing delicious food with people), because it is a good record for me of what and how I have cooked, because I hope to someday turn it into a family history and cookbook to give to my children.
But for now, come what may, I can do hard things, and so can you!
Miami. I was born and raised there. Did you know that? I had no idea as a child, how privileged I was to live in a place where I went to school at 5am and was out by noon to go to the beach. Back then, of course, you could drive for miles along the coast and there weren't all those hotels blocking the veiw from the two lane highway to the beach. You just pulled over to a "good spot" and got out of the car. Ahhh those were the days!
ReplyDeleteAs for eating healthier--try to eat more vegetables and fruits any way you can.
Give Matt a hug for me.
Congratulations on the girl news :) Seems to be a trend for Bontrager girl cousins!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if your sleep issues are related to snoring/difficulty breathing, but Breathe Right strips (store brand is just as good) worked wonders for me! And, Benadryl.
if you're still looking for maternity clothes, check ebay.
Re: weight gain, that could've happened at this point in pregnancy anyway. Could be completely unrelated to your change in diet! I actually lost weight my first trimester (and wasn't even throwing up....much), then gained a ton later. Don't stress about it!
I loved your job experiences. That is super cool, and very rewarding! I'm sure you are a wonderful tutor, and your students are so blessed to have you. But, I too remember being so checked out of my job, pretty much my whole preg. with Gretchen. It sort of takes over everything :)