The Story:
I was thinking about coming up with some elaborate and ridiculous excuse for why I didn't post this before Easter so that you could potentially read it and plan ahead and make it for yourself. But...
Then I couldn't think of an elaborate, ridiculous excuse, and I couldn't even come up with an excuse for why I didn't have an excuse.
So, here's yet another outrageously unhealthy but ultradelicious recipe for you to add to your holiday traditions. It's also really simple. Score!
These are meant to be a reminder of the sacrifice Christ made to so enrich all of our lives. As you bite into them, you find them hollow and empty, like the tomb that couldn't hold the Saviour in.
The Recipe:
Resurrection Rolls (from a friend)
bread dough
marshmallows
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
I use frozen roll dough, like Rhodes (oh, I love that stuff!). Unfortunately the grocery store people/computers, for some reason, could not foresee that Rhodes White Dinner Rolls might be in great demand for Easter weekend and did not stock enough of them or any other kind of Rhodes dough. So I reluctantly, and somewhat skeptically bought the store brand roll dough. But it actually worked out okay, because marshmallows and cinnamon-sugar are miraculous.
Keeping in mind that these rolls do not store or travel well, place the number of frozen dough peices you need (generally use 9 for an 8"x8" dish, and 20 for a 9"x13" dish, fewer for a loaf pan, etc.) in a greased glass dish to rise, and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise until at least double in size. I find that letting them rise overnight usually works well (but can occasionally spoil the dough--I risk it anyway).
Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
Wrap each piece of dough around one marshmallow, sealing it all together well. Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat, and place, seam-side-down, back in glass dish.
Bake at 350° F for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
The Verdict:
Seriously, everyone loves these. It seems like they would be sort of plain since the marshamllows melt and disappear, but they are wonderful and sweet and a little bit gooey, and--in my experience--people love those qualities. I do wish they kept for a few hours, but, alas, they go flat, lose quality, and become a squashy mess, so eat them right away. They are a perfect start to an Easter (or any) morning, or a good way to keep dinner guests happy while everything else cooks.
No comments:
Post a Comment